Friday, March 27, 2015

Raising Twins: Newborn and Postpartum Essentials

Since I've rejoined the land of adults, it never fails that someone says, "I don't know how you do it". Somehow Chloe and William get brought up whenever I'm out and about, and people are very curious about all things twins-related. So, here's how we have survived so far:


Rock 'n' Plays
I have a love-hate relationship with these things. They were probably our biggest saviors during the first month. Chloe and William each slept in one in our room to allow easy access to at night. I also think the rockers helped transition them into the world because they had the closed-in sort of feeling. But, back is best for sleep so I constantly was worried about making sure that Chloe and Will were breathing and that their airways were open. I also read reviews that these things cause flat spots so I made sure to get the ones with the pillow sort of thing. Because of this, we transitioned Chloe and Will to their room at about five weeks and they sleep side by side in one of their cribs. (We have this one and this one; the vibration doesn't really make a difference but is nice to have if one is extra fussy.)

Velcro Swaddlers
Another savior. I wish we had these for Dominic! Brian is an awful swaddler with blankets so these were a must. We can get Chloe and Will wrapped up nice and tight, and we don't have to worry about them coming unwrapped (key for co-sleeping!). No matter how tight we get them, the little stinks always manage to break their hands free.

Boppy Lounger and Original Pillows
I think I mentioned my feeding system before. I sit on my bed with Will next to me in the lounger (because he's not quite big enough yet for the original) and Chloe in front of me in the other Boppy. My arms get the best work out from holding two bottles up! When it comes time to burp them, I make sure I have a few burp cloths and their pacifiers handy, so while I burp one, the other gets a paci. Thankfully (or maybe not thankfully for when they are older) they both like their pacifiers.

Hands-free Pumping Bra
This is the only way my feeding system works!

Nose Frida
We all had colds shortly after we came home from the hospital, and we're *hopefully* finishing up round two. This thing clears their noses out so much better than the bulbs, and it is easier to clean. And it lasts! We are still using the one we bought three years ago.

Caldrea Sweet Pea Stain Remover and Oxiclean
This combo gets out pretty much any baby stain, and has even removed stains from some of Dom's old baby clothes. Plus it smells so good! I put a generous amount of the remover on the stain, let it sit for five to ten minutes, and then wash it with the matching detergent and a scoop of Oxiclean.

Carseat Covers
These were a gift from my brother and his wife, and they work much better than just a blanket over the carseat (like we did for Dominic). We weren't going to purchase them because we didn't want to spend money on something we'd use for such a short amount of time, but I would have totally regretted not having them. They safely keep Chloe and William warm and protected from the cold and wind.

Belly Bandit
I didn't buy one after having Dominic because I believed that the BB was a total gimmick touted by the Kardashians. But I decided to buy one this time around because all the twins books and blogs I read said that the support provided by the BB was essential after having twins. I bought the bamboo one, and wore it off and on during the first four weeks; mostly off, because I found it uncomfortable on my incision site. Then I found a recommendation to pull it down further on my hips and that made a huge difference. Since then, I've been wearing one nonstop and I actually think it worked to help shrink my belly! Plus, the support it provides is a must with all the moving around I have to do with two babies. I started with the large bamboo one and had to buy another one after a few weeks because my stomach went down so quickly. I wear a belly band under it because the BBs aren't easy to wash.

I'm sure we could have survived without these things, but they definitely have made life easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment