Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pregnant with Twins: 28.5 Weeks


How far along?  28.5 weeks. Nine weeks from today they will join us (or hopefully not much before then)!
Baby Crauns' size:  They each are the size of an eggplant. I've been having some growing pains and lots of itchiness as my belly starts growing out more to make room for them.
Total weight gain/loss:  No change from last week's post.
Maternity clothes:  I'm starting to get worried about what I'm going to wear to work the last few weeks...I feel huge! Emily from Cupcakes and Cashmere is due around the same time I am, and her latest post makes me feel extra large. Guess that's the difference between a girl in her first pregnancy with one baby (her) and a girl in her second pregnancy with two babies (me). Blah.
Stretch marks?  Let's hope the Medela Stretch Marks Therapy lotion works to help prevent them. As I packed our hospital bag last weekend, I got worried that the nursing tanks I wore right after Dom was born wouldn't fit me this time around. I made the mistake of googling what a woman's belly looks like shortly after delivering twins, and I was absolutely horrified! Extreme stretch marks and saggy, deflated balloon looking skin. WTF, I'm an idiot for googling that! (I settled on a tee that fits now plus the tanks that likely won't fit, but whatever.)
Sleep:  Sleep is rough again. My belly is so heavy that it's hard to get comfortable, and with all the sitting I've been required to do, my hips are starting to hurt again. Plus I increased my water intake in hopes that that would decrease the frequency of contractions (more on that below), so I'm in and out of bed 3-4 times a night again. Plus Brian has some sort of allergies/cold going on so he's been snoring insanely loud, so falling asleep after a bathroom stagger is extra difficult.    
Movement:  I led the opening of a training on Friday, and I'm sure I sounded like a ditz because I couldn't concentrate on anything I was saying with these two rolling around inside me! Every time I looked down at the notes in my training manual I could see my belly moving. Totally distracting! In addition to the crazy movements, I'm also constantly having to gently nudge William out of my ribs / diaphragm. He likes to cuddle up way high on that side, but the cool thing about it is that I can feel his little butt. It fits just in the palm of my hand. He's so little but so big already!
Symptoms:  Last week was rough. I had lots of contractions, strong ones, spaced throughout the day for multiple days. One night, I had three strong ones within 30 min and I was on the verge of a meltdown (rule is to go to the hospital if I have four within an hour). I drank a ton of water and laid on my left side and finally got them to stop. Apparently when the doctor says that I need to sit pretty much all day, that they mean exactly that. So after another chat with the doc's office, they let me know that I shouldn't be doing anything other than working (or no work and do stuff at home - not an option), and that I need to cut way back on the number of places I go in one day. I've been doing that and it really sucks because I feel fine! (Well, most of the time...sometimes I still get headaches or dizziness.) But I know I need to do it so I'm trying really hard to comply. I still feel the need to get shit done (aka nesting mode extreme), and this quote from the Alpha Mom Pregnancy Calendar sums up how I'm feeling too a T:
"Must move furniture and fold clothes and organize the linen closet and replace the bathroom vanity and finally get rid of that sooty stain on the marble fireplace and yes, DARLING, these are all essential tasks that MUST be completed before the baby gets here, DO NOT ARGUE WITH ME, NOW GO HANG UP SOME SHELVES." (Poor Brian.)
Labor signs?  Since I've cut way back on any activity / standing, I've had only 1-2 contractions a day with lots of time between them. I hope this lower level keeps up!
Food cravings:  My sweet tango apples are sold out at Target and HyVee! Boo! No cravings this past week. I've been drinking so much water that there isn't a ton of room for food.     
Miss anything?  Being able to do fun things. I feel with this whole limited activity thing that I can't participate in fun stuff. I was feeling better so we signed up for the Jolly Holiday Light's Tour de Lights family night walk this coming Saturday, with plans for me to just do the mile while everyone else did the longer walk. That's not happening anymore. And then I had to miss out on Dom's first trip to Monkey Joes with his b-fri because I didn't feel well last Sunday. I missed what would probably be my last opportunity to train at U of I's behavior clinic on Monday, and I have to miss Laney's birthday party on Sunday. Not to mention all that I would be doing with my besties! Guess I should get used to this feeling since I'll soon have my hands full with two newborns...
Belly button in or out?  It looks so weird. It's pretty flat still, but it almost looks like it was never there in the first place.
Wedding rings on or off?  I actually got to wear my diamond ring to dinner with friends on Saturday! But most of the time I'm barely fitting my fat finger into my wedding band.
Nursery progress:  I started working on Anthropologizing the lamp shade. It's going well so far but slow progress since I'm trying to rest more. Hoping to finish it by the end of the month. 
Best moment this week:  Dominic turned 2.5 on Sunday! He's such a big boy (see his 2.5 year post coming soon!), and he has blossomed into the sweetest guy. I'm so proud of him! 
Weekly wisdom:  After the contraction scare last week, I was pretty emotional for a few days. Now that I'm sitting all the time and cutting way back on activities, I am doing all I can to keep those babies in there for as long as possible, and I just have to trust that God knows what he's doing. Thinking that has helped me be a little less worried about early labor. That, plus knowing that I'm lucky to have made it this far with little to no complications. 
Looking forward to:  Putting our Christmas tree up this weekend! (Well really me supervising Brian putting it up...) Dom is understanding so much more now that I think everything about Christmas will make some sense to him. I'm a little sad that I can't do all the fun stuff I wanted to but that's what Grandma is for, right?  (By the way, Grandma Cindy, this means that we need to decorate sugar cookies because I won't be able to stand long enough to roll the dough and cut out cookies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment